D x T Hybrid Production
|D x T hybrid production||
The following guidelines are suggested for large-scale production of D x T hybrid seedlings. Assisted pollination should be done to get maximum hybrid nut production. As far as possible use prepotent palms as parents in the hybridization programmes.
|Selection of mother palms||
Palms with the following phenotypic character combination may be selected
for hybridization work.
1. Use mixed pollen from identified tall palms.
2. Emasculate the inflorescence by cutting the male flowers with scissors and stripping if necessary within 5-7 days of opening the spathe.
3. Cloth bags made of very close mesh should be used for covering the inflorescence.
4. Hairy caterpillar larvae cause serious damage by boring into the female flowers and developing buttons through stigmatic ends. The damage is more serious under bagged conditions. Spraying 0.15% carbaryl suspension mixed with 1% fish oil soap or sandovit ensures protection from the larvae. Spraying may be done prior to pre-pollination bagging.
5. Dusting of pollen-talc mixture in 1:9 proportion using pollen dispensers is recommended.
6. Assisted pollination for at least 3-5 days on each inflorescence till last female flower becomes receptive and fully pollinated.
7. Remove bags after the seventh day of pollination of the last female flower.
|Nursery||The nuts should be harvested before it is tree-ripe and sown immediately in the bed without storage. Nursery beds should be mulched or shaded and watered regularly and adequately|
|References||Kerala Agricultural University. 2011. Package of Practices Recommendations: Crops. 14th edition. Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur- 360 p.|